Leslie Gaworecki is a photographer turned abstract artist based in Houston, Texas. Leslie received a BFA in photography from The Ohio State University and spent the next 15 years photographing people and events across the country and teaching herself to paint. Her paintings are exhibited around Houston and collected internationally.
Leslie’s painting practice is driven by color and the surprises that happen when she releases expectation (a lesson she is still trying to learn about life). Leslie lives with her husband and four sons who inspire her mark-making and her tendency toward whimsy. Lucky Star is her favorite place
Lucky Star Classes: Abstract Painting
: : : Abstract Painting : : :
Let’s paint Big! In this class, I’ll share my favorite parts of my abstract painting practice. We will go from two big blank canvases to two paintings filled with color and self-expression. We’ll talk color choices and mark making and how to make them authentically yours. We’ll practice how to approach a blank canvas (how do you start??), how to create layers, what to do when you hate it and most importantly, how to let go of your plan, let the process lead, and paint just for the joy of it.
Class Offered: Half day
Level of Difficulty: All Levels Welcome
Supplies: *this class is EITHER / OR : you may EITHER pay the kit fee and I will supply your canvases and paint, OR bring all of your own supplies and do not pay the kit fee. Everyone please pay the supply fee.
Kit Fee: $45
Supply fee: $5 (everyone)
Materials List for Students bringing their own:
- 2 big canvases! at least 24”x24” , any depth, buy what you like or will use at home. I like these canvases.
- Heavy body and/or fluid acrylic paints in several colors you get excited about! Any brand is good. Be sure to get both warm and cool colors. (I love Golden paints: heavy body acrylic paints and fluid acrylics from Dick Blick)
- a few paintbrushes in different sizes – super cheap paintbrushes like kid’s craft brushes are okay
- optional- plastic gloves – if you don’t like to touch paint
- optional- apron or “paint clothes”
Supplies Provided by Instructor:
- more paint colors to try
- Golden brand heavy body acrylic paint in titanium white
- paper for color testing
- paper plates for pouring and mixing
- foam brushes for everyone
- pencils, sharpies, crayons, pastels other mark making tools
- spray bottles
- paper towels
- baby wipes
- water containers for washing brushes
How to Pay for Kit/Supply Fee: please Venmo Leslie-Gaworecki
*note: If you are flying home, your canvases can be boxed to fly as a carry on OR unstapled and rolled to fit in your suitcase OR I can ship them home for you.