Creative Director/Owner Rockin’ R Retreat Center and
Rena Cotti Creative Events
Rena has a passion for creating, learning, and teaching.
As a former high school teacher with a love of art, making, and crafting… it makes sense that this combination of teaching and creating has evolved into a life of curating experiences as a student and instructor.
So what might Rena be doing at any given moment?
Maybe painting a piece of art, making a custom table with her blow torch, cooking a good meal, knitting a scarf, scrapbooking family pics, weaving, paint pouring…
She’ll pretty much try her hand at any art or craft and then refine it and teach to others.
Rena’s absolute favorite thing is curating get-togethers for those who need to replenish their tanks with friendship and creativity.
After hosting retreats in many different venues, in 2008, Rena and her husband opened a retreat center where her events are held and they rent out the center to other creative hosts when she is not hosting herself.
Retreat Center: https://rockinrretreats.com/
Color Play class video: https://vimeo.com/705900189
Lucky Star Classes: Color Play Art Journal, Art Recess
: : : Color Play Art Journal : : :
Have lots of paint and get overwhelmed by the choices?
Just getting started painting and are not sure which colors to start your collection with?
Color Play is a fun way to do color studies using 3-4 colors and white to create custom color palettes.
We will talk about basic color theory.
We will mix colors to create new colors and create color values.
We will then use the colors we’ve curated to inspire mini-art in our Color Play art journals. This is the best part of learning… using what we’ve learned to create art!
As you fill this journal, you’ll be creating a reference book of unique color palettes to use as your go-to color inspiration when you start painting or creating any project where color is involved.
Video demonstration: https://vimeo.com/705900189
Class Offered: Half Day
Level of Difficulty: All Levels
Supplies – suggested supply list on Amazon. Substitute with what you already have! This list is not monetized. https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3AFCAMEYOL9I8?ref_=wl_share
- 8×10 Stillman & Birn Beta Series 270 GSM (Extra Heavyweight) Sketchbook the BEST ART JOURNAL! (can use the index cards listed below as optional instead of the journal or in conjunction)
- Fine point Sharpie pen
- 8” ruler (you can use a regular ruler, however, the 8” fits perfect in the journal and with the index cards)
- Paint brushes – 1/2”-1” flat or filbert works great!
- 1/2” Artist Tape or 1/2” Washi Tape
- White or Clear Gesso
- Paints – Golden is my favorite brand, but use what quality artist paints you have!
- This Golden Modern Mixing set was compiled by Golden as their version of the perfect colors to mix.
Or if you already have paints, make sure you bring the following from your stash or purchase just the ones you don’t have.
- Titanium White, use what you have but Golden Open Titanium White is great!
- a red, use what you have but Golden Open Quinacridone Magenta is great!
- a blue, use what you have but Golden Open Phthalo Blue Green shade is great!
- a yellow, use what you have but Golden Open Benzimidazolone Yellow Medium is great!
- Any other fun colors you have!
- Optional – 5×7 heavy-duty blank index cards (can use instead of art journal or in conjunction with)
- Optional – Heat gun or blow dryer (I will bring 2 if you don’t want to share bring one!)
- Optional – Small spray bottle for water (can wet paint if it starts drying on you)
- Optional – Glazing Liquid (lets you work longer with your paints)
- Optional – Stay-Wet Palette (lets you work longer with your paints)
- Optional – Permanent ink stamp pad
- Optional – Donna Downey Art Foamies 10 Grid Stamp
- Optional – Donna Downey Art Foamies 5 Grid Stamp
- Optional – Large flower stamps
- Optional – Apron or paint shirt if you’re extra messy when you play
: : : Art Recess : : :
This is playtime for you! No stress… just recess!
How many times have you taken a class that ended way too soon and you wanted to keep creating?
This is your time to bring your art and craft supplies & projects from this year and previous years or start new ones while enjoying the company of fellow campers!
Bring your stitching, your weaving, your painting, knitting, diamond embroidery, finish beading a bracelet… anything you want, and let’s play together.
I’ll help with colors, techniques for most crafts, finding inspiration, and encouraging you!
Class Offered: Half Day
Level of Difficulty: All Levels Welcome
Supplies needed: whatever you need to play! And probably wine.